Peace & Justice Wednesday, June 6 at 9 am – Newtown Nation’s Valerie Buchand
5 June 2018 Uncategorized
Valerie Buchand is a native of the historic Sarasota Newtown community, After running her own lawn care service, she began in 2009 to serve on the Sarasota Housing Authority Board. She’s an advocate for low-income housing and a community activist. In 2014, along with other concerned citizens, she started the Newtown Nation organization.
Newtown Naton actions
- Back to School Bash
- Big Mama Collard Greens Festival (annually)
- Newtown Farmers Market (working on growing the market)
- Hosted two community meetings
- Advocated for safety in the Newtown community
- Continues to share its vision with other organizations
We’ll talk about Newtown Nation’s three major projects that they are engaging in right now:
- Another Big Mama Collard Green Festival (October 20, 2018) – Need Sponsors
- Curb Appeal/Community Clean-Up (on the east at Washington Court, the west Old Bradenton Road, on the north Myrtle Avenue and south 17thStreet). They need landscapers, tools, labors and sponsors.
- They continue to engage with other organizations in the Newtown area to see how they can partner to meet the needs of the Newtown community.